About ISPM 15
ISPM 15 is about the treatment of wooden packaging materials for export to prevent the export of bugs in the wood. Many countries require that all export shipping crates be heat treated to reduce the risk of pest infestation. Export crates require an identification stamp known as ISPM-15 mark, certifying the crate meets international shipping standards. All of MEI’s crate construction and identification is done in accordance with international regulations.
ISPM 15 Crates Requirements for Export
ISPM 15 is the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) standard that specifies the need to treat solid wood materials used to ship products internationally. It governs all wood packaging material (wood pallets, wood crates, bracing, etc) used for export packaging, requiring that they are heat-treated or fumigated with methyl bromide and marked with a seal of compliance. This seal of compliance is sometimes called the “bug stamp.”
All lumber used by MEI Rigging and Crating for crating meets or exceeds the ISPM-15 standard for heat treatment requirements for export shipments containing Solid Wood Packaging Material (SWPM). We can apply our ISPM-15 compliant stamp to any of our wood crates, boxes and pallets specified for export packaging.
If requested, a letter of certification will accompany all shipments.
- The markings must be within a rectangular border with a vertical line separating the IPPC logo from the identifying data.
- The borderlines may be solid or broken, and the corners may be rounded.
- XX – indicates a two letter ISO country code
- OOOO – the next series of letters/numbers is the unique identification mark of the wood treatment agent or packaging manufacturer. The number of letters or digits may vary according to each country.
- The country code and treatment agent or manufacturer code must be separated by a hyphen.
- YY – This indicates the type of treatment, and will either be HT (Heat Treatment) or MB (Methyl Bromide).
- All wood products used for export crating and shipping outside the United States must be ISPM 15 compliant and certified with the proper stamp containing the required IPPC symbol.
- ISPM 15 wood packaging materials for export are treated to prevent the export of bugs in the wood.
- All lumber used by MEI Rigging and Crating for crating meets or exceeds the ISPM-15 standard for heat treatment requirements for export shipments containing Solid Wood Packaging Material (SWPM).